2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On the topic of FA signings of that era I can't remember if it was the Pudge or Magglio year but I remember the rumor mill on ESPN atleast(i oddly didn't listen closely to local radio/news at the time) was that we were pretty hot for JD Drew and Adrian Beltre at the time and at one point they listed us at the favorites before being trumped by the Red Sox and Ms. 

If that was legit and we did indeed sign them I wonder how different things may have turned out for the franchise. Do we still go after Magglio? Or even Cabrera for that matter since we originally had him at 3b?

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I believe nobody offered him more than 1 year.  Tigers gave him 4 plus options.  Then he was portrayed as some hero for daring to come here and rescue the franchise, while disrespecting his manager, a Tigers legend, and according to reports physically going after him after being denied time away from the team for a booty call.

Because of that I reserve the name Pudge for Carlton Fisk.

yeah, I am not a fan of Rodriguez.  He is on my list of least favorite Tigers - right up there with Juan Gonzalez.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

On the topic of FA signings of that era I can't remember if it was the Pudge or Magglio year but I remember the rumor mill on ESPN atleast(i oddly didn't listen closely to local radio/news at the time) was that we were pretty hot for JD Drew and Adrian Beltre at the time and at one point they listed us at the favorites before being trumped by the Red Sox and Ms. 

If that was legit and we did indeed sign them I wonder how different things may have turned out for the franchise. Do we still go after Magglio? Or even Cabrera for that matter since we originally had him at 3b?

I believe it was Scott Boras making up rumors about teams being interested to get his clients more money. The Tigers were starting to spend money, so they were a popular team for these rumors. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I believe nobody offered him more than 1 year.  Tigers gave him 4 plus options.  Then he was portrayed as some hero for daring to come here and rescue the franchise, while disrespecting his manager, a Tigers legend, and according to reports physically going after him after being denied time away from the team for a booty call.

Because of that I reserve the name Pudge for Carlton Fisk.

I don't remember the thing with Trammell. I must have blocked it out of my memory as a traumatic event.

Ivan played for the Marlins in 2003 on a 1/10 deal and won a ring with them. That offseason he told them he would be glad to keep playing for them for $10 million as long as they gave him the same contract length they'd given Mike Lowell which was four years— thus, 4/40. The Marlins let him walk, and the floor for Ivan's next deal was established. When one of the worst teams in baseball history were the only organization to offer him his 4/40, he basically had no choice but to take it. And that's how I remember us getting Ivan Rodriguez.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, if they want to pursue Correa (call me skeptical), it's now (sort of) official:

I'm sure the Twins are feeling peachy about having spent $35M for the team to play sub 500 ball.....:classic_wink:

He never really stopped being a free agent, he just kicked it down the road for a year.  He did stay in the lineup for 136 games, which is not too bad but you wouldn't want to see much less.  I don't think that $340 million is any more likely this year than it was last year.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, if they want to pursue Correa (call me skeptical), it's now (sort of) official:

I'm sure the Twins are feeling peachy about having spent $35M for the team to play sub 500 ball.....:classic_wink:

He really helped his case by staying on the field for almost 140 games and delivering five-plus wins.

That thing about Tork being the worst ever position player drafted first is troubling. I am one of the least astute observers around here. But simply because he was playing first base in college - sort of like me being stuck in right field in LL because it was the one place I could do the least damage - I found myself wondering if we’d be lucky if he were even a diminished version of Dave Kingman and if he was a one dimensional player and that one dimension didn’t work out it would be regrettable. But I heard all this talk about his athleticism which I am in no position to judge so I assumed everything would turn out OK. It’s too early to tell, but I can’t say that I am surprised especially since I hold the development side of this organization in low esteem (another assessment I don’t have tangible facts to back up so I’m going on a hunch). I hope I’m wrong but I really drank the Kool-Aid this season and I feel like I ended up in Jonestown and that I should’ve seen it coming. 

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

He never really stopped being a free agent, he just kicked it down the road for a year.  He did stay in the lineup for 136 games, which is not too bad but you wouldn't want to see much less.  I don't think that $340 million is any more likely this year than it was last year.

Regardless, Correa going to Detroit seems even less likely than last offseason. 

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

Are people assuming that Correa will likely not come here because Detroit is viewed as a bad team or because we assume that Chris will not endorse $$ or both?

It’s a new regime.  Some assumptions like terminating Coolbaugh and cutting ties with Hutchison (for now) are easy assumptions.  But I think there’s a lot of unknown, at least in regards to specific players, this off-season.