2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

It wasn’t just McVey and his system either.   Zac Taylor, Matt Lafleur, and even old UM passing guru Jedd Fisch were all around Goff and played a key role in his development.  They are highly regarded and are all great with QB’s.   A young guy couldn’t ask for a better staff to learn from. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think we both agree here.  Again, I never said he was a fraud and his early success was 100% McVey.   He’s always been a quality QB and he’s proving that again here without the Rams.  

That's fair. I thought you were insinuating that he's a product of McVay.

The Bears have the worst pass rush in the league. No way they pass on Anderson. Seattle also has a poor offensive line. I see more mocks mocking a QB to Detroit than Seattle. Guess more people think Geno Smith is the real deal. It would be a bummer if Anderson and Carter are off the board. I would try to trade out to a team like Carolina. 

We have a lot of draft capital...there's two DL prospects that really stand out.  Assuming the Rams come in at 4, do we try to leapfrog into 1 or 2 to ensure getting that DL?   Or do we take our chances on a slightly less regarded lineman like Wilson, Murphy and Bresee.

Am I missing something...Oluwatimi is the Rimington award winner and a consensus All American, but I don't see him getting any attention in mock drafts.  He's a SR...is he taking the Covid ear and not entering the draft?  

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ben Johnson built his system around Goff instead of forcing Goff into his system. One would think an offensive genius like McVay would do that. 

It's a different coaching philosophy. I don't know if there is a right or wrong to it, McVay won his SB but what if he could not have dealt for Stafford? If you only want guys for your system then that is one more hurdle you've created for yourself before you can win. But if you do find those guys you might also end up looking like a genius.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the Texans take a qb this draft. They're a minimum of 2 to 3 years away from winning so they may want to build up other parts of the team and kick the can down the road a year especially when there is a Willi Anderson/Jalen Carter level talent this draft among non qbs and a Caleb Williams level qb next draft. 

Even if they miss out on Caleb there still will be premium guys like Ewers and Maye they could draft.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

It wasn’t just McVey and his system either.   Zac Taylor, Matt Lafleur, and even old UM passing guru Jedd Fisch were all around Goff and played a key role in his development.  They are highly regarded and are all great with QB’s.   A young guy couldn’t ask for a better staff to learn from. 

which is a credit to mcvey for putting together such a good staff.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Bears have the worst pass rush in the league. No way they pass on Anderson. Seattle also has a poor offensive line. I see more mocks mocking a QB to Detroit than Seattle. Guess more people think Geno Smith is the real deal. It would be a bummer if Anderson and Carter are off the board. I would try to trade out to a team like Carolina. 

Myles Murphy is also a terror at DE, I wouldn't trade out if he were still on the board.

He'd be a 3rd place finish after Carter & Anderson, which would suck... But I'm not trading down if he's on the board at our pick.

image.thumb.png.16ee14dc335dbcaff0d1784336298ce3.png

Did my first mock of the year for S&Gs. Only did 3 rounds cause really haven't paid enough attention to guys to target in later rounds. Don't love taking a RB in the 1st and get the D- grade but I wasn't doing trades cause they are always so lopsided on there, if it were real and I could've traded down I would have but with the way the board fell there just wasn't anybody there that I loved so I swung for the fences and took Bijan.