04/01/2023 4:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays

casimir

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Riley take command 

Yup.  Lack of communication?  Did he have a bad read on it?

It seems like there were a couple of fly balls between he and Vierling in game one that Greene probably should have fielded but Vierling made the play.

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

12H and 5 BB in 18 IP. TB pitchers with a WHIP <1.0 so far.

Pretty horrid showing, but it's two games against a really good pitching staff.

Plenty of reason for concern, but the tough part about this time of the year is that there are a lot of reactions when there isn't much of a sample size to work with. 

I had them at 73 wins in the preseason, and I'm still OK with that prediction (though not OK that is where they are at). I'll need to see more games to move off of that

50 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

The sloppy play was not encouraging either. Maybe they can't hit but at least be able to catch and throw.

Well, Carpenter was a known risk in the OF. You assume he's not going to be out there that often unless Miguel stays miraculously healthy. If that happens, that probably means he's hitting well so we won't be able to complain.

I only hope the tigers success with shifting in the last couple of years hasn't resulted in them being a little too lenient in judging what they expect in the true unshifted range of their IFs. The balls past Schoop yesterday, at least one past Maton today, granted they were plays an IF would have to be really good to have made, but it's the big leagues, to win you do have to be really good! Making those hard plays gets pitchers on good teams out of a lot innings before the bad things that happened to your pitcher would have happened to theirs.

Edited by gehringer_2

Carpenter to DH only please Maton to second every day. Cut Johnny. Rogers catch most days. Kriedler at third. Verling in right full time. Haase DH, C, and left field. Meadows in Left most days. McStinky etc all to bench and Miggy plays very sparingly. 

I don’t buy the super play everyone everywhere strategy. Put our best defense on the field until we find equal defenders who hit better. This shell game needs good players also and the defense suffers trying so hard to get matchups. Tampa does it because their players are good. 

24 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I don’t buy the super play everyone everywhere strategy.

I know I won't get much agreement on this, but I believe Hinch's obsession with this is basically deflection. It's something to do, a way to give the appearance of management control when in reality there is nothing to control and no real point to all the position churning and theoretical match-up flexibility in terms of actual impact on winning, which is probably net negative in the end for the very reason we say today with 4 fielders all looking at each other while a ball fell because of their unfamiliarity with each other's play and preferences.

And I'm not even sure it's anything to hold against him, what else is he gonna do until his team turns into something more than a collections of left overs.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I know I won't get much agreement on this, but I believe Hinch's obsession with this is basically deflection. It's something to do, a way to give the appearance of management control when in reality there is nothing to control and no real point to all the position churning and theoretical match-up flexibility in terms of actual impact on winning, which is probably net negative in the end for the very reason we say today with 4 fielders all looking at each other while a ball fell because of their unfamiliarity with each other's play and preferences.

And I'm not even sure it's anything to hold against him, what else is he gonna do until his team turns into something more than a collections of left overs.

I don't really know if it's a Hinch thing as more and more teams seem to be doing the same thing.  I believe it has to do with half the roster being pitchers.  At one time, the typical roster had 15 hitters and 9 pitchers, so there was 2 extra bench spots which allowed for more platooning and mixing and matching without players playing out of position.  The solution would be to expand rosters to 28 while keeing pitching staffs at a max of 13