Week Fifteen: Denver Broncos (7-6) @ Detroit Lions (9-4)

MichiganCardinal

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Not in the trade, but Paschal had a great game tonight too.

Really happy to see Iffy and Paschal both step up. Iffy was a beast with 9 tackles and a nose for the ball, moving all over the field. He has really stepped up the last couple of weeks after being a guy fans thought wouldn't even make the team or would be cut eventually. I don't know if something clicked for him, but his play has really stepped up. 

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Now we just need Jack Campbell to show improvement next season. Branch will be fine. 

It takes a bit longer for defensive guys to catch on, especially anyone beyond the front line.   Front Line kind of does what the do with some variations but the other defensive positions have to be reactionary.   Those offensive guys act instead of react, so it's a faster learning curve.   Especially being a linebacker, where you kind of have to be all things to really compete.   He'll get it.  He actually has the potential to be Chris Spielman Jr.     He'd look a lot better if our line could actually get to the QB more often.   

I don't think this team can go too far in the playoffs.   A home playoff game against the 6th or 7th seed is a winnable game, but I don't think the Lions can beat Dallas, Philly or San Francisco.    This team probably won't really peak for another year or two.   This offseason is about getting another defensive lineman to get to the QB and keeping that O-Line together.  They might have to creative to do that.   

Priority

1. Pass Rusher

2. Secondary

3. More O-Line Depth

4. More LB depth

Don't need any shiny new toys like QB, RB, WR or TE.  They are set there for another year or two.  

The announcers talked about how all the good teams have gone through a rough patch, maybe that's all it was for the Lions.  I sure hope so.   I am hoping our Christmas present next week is an NFC North title clinching.     The way the Vikins fell apart yesterday, they might be in their own head a bit.  

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think this team can go too far in the playoffs.   A home playoff game against the 6th or 7th seed is a winnable game, but I don't think the Lions can beat Dallas, Philly or San Francisco.    This team probably won't really peak for another year or two.   This offseason is about getting another defensive lineman to get to the QB and keeping that O-Line together.  They might have to creative to do that.   

I think fair expectations are one playoff win. That said, the NFL isn’t the NBA. When you have one game - sixty minutes - to go balls to the wall and leave it all on the field, I’ll take Dan Campbell over anybody in the league to have the team ready to go.

While we can’t expect a win against San Francisco or Philadelphia (or I guess the perpetual frauds in Dallas), I think they are all beatable on any given Sunday. The Bengals showed us two years ago what a team that was still a year or two away from peaking can do when they get hot at the right time.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

lol.  last week we were firing the entire coaching staff and this week were expecting "at least" one playoff win.

So you don't think it's fair to expect them to beat a likely sub .500 team at home in the first round? I think that is perfectly fine expectations. 

And the only people calling for all the coaches were the usual "sky is falling" crowd not guys like MC.

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

20231217_093414.jpg.5d00c78d87a22028a001c177dab62234.jpg

I'm concerned about Mahomes without Bieniemy. Mahomes can be successful if he has a good offensive line and receivers. 

Pretty amazing how the guy many have speculated could be the best QB ever, and still is damn  good in my opinion, finds himself in that group of 4 😳

2 hours ago, buddha said:

lol.  last week we were firing the entire coaching staff and this week were expecting "at least" one playoff win.

37 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

So you don't think it's fair to expect them to beat a likely sub .500 team at home in the first round? I think that is perfectly fine expectations. 

And the only people calling for all the coaches were the usual "sky is falling" crowd not guys like MC.

I’ll admit that I was discouraged with the team after the Bears game. I never went so far as to call for firings I don’t think, though I came close with Glenn.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I think the last 13 months have spoiled me to an certain extent. That stretch of games against the Raiders, Chargers, Bears, Packers, Saints, and Bears, they were playing some ugly football. But they went 4-2. It’s probably not fair to demand pretty when they are finding ways to win. But it was a tremendous relief to finally see the team do what we’ve seen them do across the last three seasons, taking a good team like the Cardinals (2021) or Jaguars (2022) and outperforming them in every facet of the game.

My preseason prediction was 12-5 and a spot in the NFCCG. Might as well stick with that.