2021 NFL Playoff Predictions..........

Motor City Sonics

I wonder what wouldve happened if not for the Matt Flynn game? If we win that we get a home playoff game against a bad Falcons team instead of going to NO who was basically unbeatable at that point at home. 

That was also the year a very mediocre Giants team ended up making the Super Bowl, Im not sure how the bracket would've played out but I think we could've won are 1st round home game then got SF in round 2. We lost to them earlier in the year but it was a close game, I think we very easily win that then in the NFC Championship we get either that Giants team,  Packers or Saints. If it does end up being the Giants again in this scenario we definitely could've beaten them. 

Alot of what ifs and different scenarios that had to happen but I felt that 2011 we had a good enough team to win, especially since a mediocre Giants team ended up winning the whole thing anyway but we just got the worst draw possible thanks to that Flynn game. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder what wouldve happened if not for the Matt Flynn game? If we win that we get a home playoff game against a bad Falcons team instead of going to NO who was basically unbeatable at that point at home. 

That was also the year a very mediocre Giants team ended up making the Super Bowl, Im not sure how the bracket would've played out but I think we could've won are 1st round home game then got SF in round 2. We lost to them earlier in the year but it was a close game, I think we very easily win that then in the NFC Championship we get either that Giants team,  Packers or Saints. If it does end up being the Giants again in this scenario we definitely could've beaten them. 

Alot of what ifs and different scenarios that had to happen but I felt that 2011 we had a good enough team to win, especially since a mediocre Giants team ended up winning the whole thing anyway but we just got the worst draw possible thanks to that Flynn game. 

The Lions wouldn't have gotten a home playoff game. The Packers had already wrapped up the division and 1st seed which was why Flynn was playing in the 1st place. Only division winners got home games. I believe they would have played at the Giants instead. Maybe they win that game and completely change the course of history. 

The thing for me was I was completely optimistic after 2011. Stafford in really his 1st full season threw for 5,000 yards and over 40 TDs. They had the best receiver in the league and one of the best defensive players in the league and they were all young. It looked like just the beginning. They really played better than the score indicated as they were only down 3 points into the 4th quarter and then it completely got away from them. 

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions wouldn't have gotten a home playoff game. The Packers had already wrapped up the division and 1st seed which was why Flynn was playing in the 1st place. Only division winners got home games. I believe they would have played at the Giants instead. Maybe they win that game and completely change the course of history. 

The thing for me was I was completely optimistic after 2011. Stafford in really his 1st full season threw for 5,000 yards and over 40 TDs. They had the best receiver in the league and one of the best defensive players in the league and they were all young. It looked like just the beginning. They really played better than the score indicated as they were only down 3 points into the 4th quarter and then it completely got away from them. 

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot that only division winners got home games even if their record was inferior, that's how the Giants ended up hosting the Falcons even though they had the worst record among playoff teams. 

Losing to GB in the 2014 finale to miss out on thy division was another heartbreaking what if scenario. We all remember the controversial Dallas call but what gets forgotten with Lions fans is just how bad the officiating was in that GB game. 

I'm not one to really blame the officials but to this day that was one of the most lopsided officiated games I can remember. The Pack didn't get a single penalty called on them all game with the exception of one false start or offsides penalty. It was ridiculous.

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Watching Stafford makes me depressed now. There's no reason this couldn't have been the Lions. They had their Cooper Kupp in Calvin Johnson. They had their Aaron Donald in Suh. The foundation was there. Just couldn't get the right pieces around them. 

Because there was no rookie salary cap and all 3 guys were top 2 picks and super expensive.  

On 1/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, CMRivdogs said:

If you're playing "what ifs".

What if the Lions had won the final game of the 2000 season at home against the Bears. They would have made the playoffs, probably Matt Millen would not have been made GM and Marty Morninweg would not have set the bar so high for the next 20 years...

Talk about another bad ending the Lions on a long FG by the opponents... ugh.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, Motown Bombers said:

The offensive line was good in 2014 and they ran the ball effectively, unfortunately that was one of Stafford's worst years but they still won 11 games and should have won that playoff game. 

I wasn't always a Stafford hater, just as I wasn't always a Ken Holland nor Jim Harbaugh hater. For the overly critical and negative fans like me, there is always a turning point with players and coaches. For me with Stafford it was the 2014 season and his inability to close the deal in Lambeau against Green Bay and then again in the Dallas game in the playoffs. Of course my dislike of Stafford went off a cliff over the next few seasons, but 2014 was the year it started for me. If the old boards were still around, none of my posts prior to 14 about Stafford were really that critical or harsh but I went off the cliff after they laid an egg against Dallas.

Oddly enough, 14 is also the year I turned on Kenny Holland after he brought back Dan Clearly for the seemingly 100th time. I was wrong about Stafford's inability to win a playoff game and get his team over the hump. I was wrong about Harbaugh too this season. But I still feel vindicated about Kenny, so I'll take 1 out of 2.

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

... I was wrong about Stafford's inability to win a playoff game and get his team over the hump. I was wrong about Harbaugh too this season. But I still feel vindicated about Kenny, so I'll take 1 out of 2.

FYI: That would be 1 out of 3.

Or in terms if win-loss record: 1-2.

• Haha 1

Not to rain on anyone’s humility, but Stafford hasn’t (yet) done what he was brought to LA to do. The Rams went 10-6 last year and won a wildcard game. They said “not good enough” and shipped their QB and future across the country to pickup Stafford, because they thought that he could lead them to more than going 10-6 and winning a playoff game.

He has gone 12-5 and won a playoff game. But I don’t think the Rams faithful (all 14 of them) will be satisfied with another divisional round exit. Whether that meets the expectations of Stafford as a QB is to the eyes of the beholder though.