2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

I think the OF situation is    Grossman-Haase-Baddoo-Reyes.  Other than Haase the other guys can all play more than one position, which is a great benefit to the team for now - and Harold Castro can play out there too.    

As far as Cameron.  I am not sure how many call ups he has left before he has to go on waivers.  That might be a reason they don't want to use him right now.   AJ said he wasn't quite ready and maybe they don't want to waste a callup if he's not ready.  This is the year he has to prove himself, and maybe they want him to do that starting at Toledo.   If they call up anyone it would probably be Jake Robson first.   They have a little bit of Roster Bingo they have to play to fit someone else in.   I expect Zack Short to be cut from the roster as soon as Torkelson is added,  I kind of expect Miguel Del Pozo and Bryan Garcia to be cut candidates too because I do think they will add one or two non-roster pitchers to the opening day squad, or maybe pick up someone cut from another team.    It looks like Will Vest and Jacob Barnes are coming north. 

What if Alexander is really really good in his first 3 starts and then Pineda comes back?   Pineda to the pen, or Manning to the minors?    Oh wait, I am sure an injury will solve that dilemma first. 

Oh, and why the f won't it get warm?     Why is it so damn grey and cold still?    This is unacceptable.  

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh wait, I am sure an injury will solve that dilemma first. 

There's a decent chance Manning struggles and then they have an easy decision. Of course, we should also take Alexander's success with a grain of salt. His lack of velocity may start playing a lot worse once he's facing hitters with 50+ ABs. Hopefully not, but I think that is a definite possibility.

Edited by gehringer_2

40 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There's a decent chance Manning struggles and then they have an easy decision. Of course, we should also take Alexander's success with a grain of salt. His lack of velocity may start playing a lot worse once he's facing hitters with 50+ ABs. Hopefully not, but I think that is a definite possibility.

I think Manning will be a very pleasant surprise this year.     I think it's some minor tweaking,  just like it was with Mize and Skubal.  

On 3/21/2022 at 10:27 AM, IdahoBert said:

You really know baseball is back when you’re watching a spring training game, the TV crew is bantering joyfully,and mlb.com is playing erectile dysfunction ads. It is morning in America!

On 3/31/2022 at 12:52 PM, KL2 said:

They'll just sign Luke Scott for 2 games. 

Isn't he the guy that called the old Ramsey games? Jack Snow......

8 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Didn’t see that coming 

I like it. I liked Isaac but to be honest he looks like a high floor low ceiling guy and the truth is that the Tiger system is deep in upcoming IFs likely to eclipse him, while we are pretty thin in the OF esp from the left hand batters box. Meadows was 4 WAR in '19, 2 WAR in 21 and is entering his prime power years. I can't see Paredes contributing that to the Tiger org over the next 2 or 3 years.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I'll tell you for nothing that to me this is a difference between this regime and Mike Ilitch/DD years. Yes those guys brought in some great players and we won our share of games but there was seldom any sense of a vision of a team of parts that went together. This is a move -- aside from considerations of some absolute value comparison between the players -- works well in terms of moving a player that didn't appear to have a place for one that does.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I like it. I liked Isaac but to be honest he looks like a high floor low ceiling guy and the truth is that the Tiger system is deep in upcoming IFs likely to eclipse him, while we are pretty thin in the OF esp from the left hand batters box. Meadows was 4 WAR in '19, 2 WAR in 21 and is entering his prime power years. I can't see Paredes contributing that to the Tiger org over the next 2 or 3 years.

Knowing how Tampa wins every trade they are involved in, they'll probably make a useful player out of Paredes lol.

But you are right, this is a good move for him as well... he would have been stuck in Toledo otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

So, I guess Baddoo will be the center fielder with Meadows and Grossman at the corners and Reyes backing up.  Meadows still has three years before free  agency too.  

They will have an interesting (good) situation when Greene returns.  

If I read it correctly Grossman is only signed through this season? And is 33. 

With Meadows they won't have to bat Reyes or Haase against tough RHP. 

Willi Castro probably not the happiest guy in the camp tonight.....:classic_sad: