2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

if they have $33M more to spend each year (I think they do), better ways to spend that:

OF (Schwarber or Conforto) + Reliever (Chafin or McHugh) + Starter (Grienke or Anderson) = about $33M, for less years and less risk

Prefer this plan over the Correa plan.

I don't think we need an OF'er just yet though. I'd rather save that for the trade deadline to see whether it's worth it or not to chase another bat. And I'd rather give internal options enough run to start the season to see whether they sink or swim.

I'm good with another starter and reliever though. Always liked McHugh. And I think Grienke would be as valuable off the field as on. IMO.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think we need an OF'er just yet though.

they currently have zero OFs who have consistently produced at the ML level.

Baddoo-Greene-Grossman could be really good, but I would like to get someone else in the mix day 1.

Reyes, Hill, Daz all could contribute, but with pretty low ceilings

29 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

they currently have zero OFs who have consistently produced at the ML level.

Baddoo-Greene-Grossman could be really good, but I would like to get someone else in the mix day 1.

Reyes, Hill, Daz all could contribute, but with pretty low ceilings

Which means we don't need an OF'er right now. You've just confirmed my position.

There's no reason whatsoever to spend on any OF'er until the trade deadline, at the earliest.

The Tigers should first and foremost give time to Grossman-Greene-Baddoo-Hill-Daz-Reyes to see how they fare this season.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which means we don't need an OF'er right now. You've just confirmed my position.

There's no reason whatsoever to spend on any OF'er until the trade deadline, at the earliest.

The Tigers should first and foremost give time to Grossman-Greene-Baddoo-Hill-Daz-Reyes to see how they fare this season.

the eternal optimist...

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And the new cba definitely gives them incentive to have Greene and Torkelson on the roster day 1, so Greene is likely committed to consistent time.

2 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

And the new cba definitely gives them incentive to have Greene and Torkelson on the roster day 1, so Greene is likely committed to consistent time.

I would love to see Torkelson in Detroit this season. I'm just not sure he'll be ready by opening day. Mid-season callup?

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They need any good player they can get at the right price.  If they could get someone like Conforto for the next few years within whatever their budget is, then great, but I wouldn't try to patch an outfielder in right now.  I think pitching is a greater need.  

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Wonder if it was the Tigers?

I’d be fine with that.

Here’s the other thing with bringing in additional arms.  At the beginning of the season, pitcher stamina is going to be weaker than a normal April.  Stock up with veteran arms, use options for maybe ready pitchers, do whatever is needed to get through, say, Memorial Day.  Through short term incentive laden deals or deals with buyouts or whatever to guys like Greinke/Sanchez and see what happens.  If they can help eat up innings and can be kept for the season, fantastic.  If they’re not worth keeping past Memorial Day, ok, hopefully they’ve eaten enough innings to have not overburdened the rest of the pitching staff.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I’d be fine with that.

Here’s the other thing with bringing in additional arms.  At the beginning of the season, pitcher stamina is going to be weaker than a normal April.  Stock up with veteran arms, use options for maybe ready pitchers, do whatever is needed to get through, say, Memorial Day.  Through short term incentive laden deals or deals with buyouts or whatever to guys like Greinke/Sanchez and see what happens.  If they can help eat up innings and can be kept for the season, fantastic.  If they’re not worth keeping past Memorial Day, ok, hopefully they’ve eaten enough innings to have not overburdened the rest of the pitching staff.

They really need bullpen help as well. I know people don't love giving free agent contracts to bullpen arms, but this team has a lot of question marks out there.

I'm open to the idea that guys like Lange/Funkhouser can graduate to reliability status, but even so, its the Achilles heel of this team

I think signing an OF is premature.  Grossman is fine in one of the corner spots for the next season.  Can’t block Greene, who is probably ready.  For the other spot, I want to know what we have in Baddoo, Hill and Cameron—they need to get the AB’s this season.  If none emerge, we can address next offseason.

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think signing an OF is premature.  Grossman is fine in one of the corner spots for the next season.  Can’t block Greene, who is probably ready.  For the other spot, I want to know what we have in Baddoo, Hill and Cameron—they need to get the AB’s this season.  If none emerge, we can address next offseason.

Or at the trade deadline if it is actually worthwhile to do so...

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Victor Reyes is about to break out !

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

They really need bullpen help as well. I know people don't love giving free agent contracts to bullpen arms, but this team has a lot of question marks out there.

I'm open to the idea that guys like Lange/Funkhouser can graduate to reliability status, but even so, its the Achilles heel of this team

Agree.  I think Funkhouser in particular was the beneficiary of a lot of good luck last season.  He's been good at keeping the ball on the ground and in the yard, but he issues way too many walks while his strikeouts lag behind.