2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

21 minutes ago, Archie said:

I thought for sure Wily would be back.  Still time left but maybe they have bigger plans?

Depends on his asking price is.... he's great to have as a long relief option, but I suspect he may be asking for more than relief money.... either way, they would ideally have someone else as a 5th starter (ie. one of the Andersons, Pineida, etc.)

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

There’s no room in the rotation for Peralta, anyway.

Really?  

Who is your 5? 

I think you need at least 8 starters going into the season.    He could be a bullpen/depth guy even if he is not in the Opening Day rotation.    I do expect a couple of our young guys to have injuries at some point.  Even with a full Spring Training I would expect that.   I like Tyler Alexander in the same role they've used him the last two years.    

1. Mize

2. Rodriguez

3. Skubal

4. Manning

Other than that, the options seem to be  Tyler Alexander, Rony Garcia, Reese Olson, Joey Wentz.

That's a lot of uncertainty. 

They still need 2 guys.  One of them could be Peralta.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Really?  

Who is your 5? 

I think you need at least 8 starters going into the season.    He could be a bullpen/depth guy even if he is not in the Opening Day rotation.    I do expect a couple of our young guys to have injuries at some point.  Even with a full Spring Training I would expect that.   I like Tyler Alexander in the same role they've used him the last two years.    

1. Mize

2. Rodriguez

3. Skubal

4. Manning

Other than that, the options seem to be  Tyler Alexander, Rony Garcia, Reese Olson, Joey Wentz.

You can never have too much pitching. The Free Press named about 5 or 6 possible free agents pitchers we could still sign.

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Really?  

Who is your 5? 

1. Mize

2. Rodriguez

3. Skubal

4. Manning

I don't have a lot of faith in Manning. I hope he proves me wrong.

Rodon lost a lot of velocity and in turn effectiveness towards the end of the year.  Considering his injury history that would be something that would deter me from giving him big money.

With that said 2/44 isn't the worst deal in the world for a team like the Giants, hopefully for them he just had a tired arm due to not being used to pitching as much as he did last year. 

I'm fine with them not getting Rodon... that is too much money 

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Al probably tried to sign Peralta to a minor league deal during the lock out. Better options out there. I am very curious to see if Mike wants to dispel his "chepo" vote and  sign someone good like Greinke or Rondon for one year. 

Grienke is polarizing bc of his velocity loss,  but I'd still consider him for a #5 slot. May command too much money tho

Edited by mtutiger

Greinke's velo is a little concerning but he has damn near 80 command and is uncanny at the "art of pitching". I think he is and will continue to be one of those guys that is successful just by changing speeds,eye levels and overall keeping hitters off balance.

Of course I doubt he will pitch like the ace that he used to be but I'm confident he will atleast be a plus starter that gives you innings. 

4 hours ago, Archie said:

I don't have a lot of faith in Manning. I hope he proves me wrong.

Not a finished product for sure, but there were a few times when he looked really good last year.   They had to bring him up before he was ready because of injuries.  I think he will take a big, good step this year.   He was right up there with Mize a few years ago,  Missing a full year and then being called up to early threw everything off.    I see Manning in 2021 much like Mize and Skubal were in 2020,  just let him learn.  

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure if it's been posted yet or if its true but here ya go.

I think a lot of people are misreading this tweet...though I'm not sure if its intented this way. Everybody is making it seem like chris said no to *any* deal. 

But the info reads an offer of just shy so 295 million was made. Chris is the one who nixed a deal that would have paid more so like a 325 million deal. If so I don't see the huge problem here. Everyone has a budget, chris said no to the bigger deal but they still made a roughly 300 million offer. 

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

There’s no room in the rotation for Peralta, anyway.

You need at least 8 starters to get through the season, so I think there  is plenty of room.  Manning has to be given a job, but we don't know how dependable he is yet.  Alexander looked good last year, but he could be a fluke.  They have some minor league guys like Wentz and Olson who might be OK, but are unproven.  They need more depth.  

Edited by Tiger337

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Rodon off the board at a huge number 

Even before he signed I was thinking Rodon was going to be too expensive.

Is Pineda more in our budget? That's the guy I'd want as a 5th starter.

Not too critical or expensive that he can't be superceded if Wentz gets really hot in AAA.