2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

kyle seager isnt a boomer.  he has his whole life ahead of him and for someone of his age and his physical status, he has an infintessimally small chance of having serious problems from covid.  plus the last strain is weaker.  and the strains in the future are likely to get even weaker than this one.

if he's retiring because he's scared of getting covid, he's an idiot.

He's got more money than your average boomer which makes it easy for him to retire.  My original post said he might have  quit due to fear of Covid/tedium of Covid restrictions.  Maybe he figures he has a year left in the tank and doesn't feel like dealing with Covid tests, masks, teammates arguing about vaccines, etc.   Or with all the conflicting information out there about Covid, maybe he is scared for himself or his family.  I just know a lot of people have been leaving the workforce the last couple of years and it's odd to see a 2.5 WAR player retire.  

If I had to take an educated guess out of the blue, knowing nothing else, I’d guess that one of the major unspoken reasons Kyle Seager quit is because he has some chronic pain that he doesn’t want to aggravate or perhaps cross the rubicon with by playing another seven months nonstop. I could see someone like that with all the money in hand getting out with whatever is left of his health. It’s certainly not because he’s unhappy with his own performance. 

That makes sense to me, and also the probability that the decision was not based on one criteria. Family time, plenty of money, pain/health issues, covid, scheduling-travel. And maybe he has a plan for the next phase that he is excited about. Since we are all just speculating, how about he’s always wanted to have a cattle ranch in Montana (or raise dental floss)? Travel the world? More power to him and his family.

Regional manager (step below a VP) at a Fortune500 (my boss's boss) was a good guy and he had no illusions about the fact that even at his level (maybe even especially at his level) the company was most definitely not his friend. He wife's long term health was not good and he had been counting down to retirement for a number of years but couldn't go early because he needed to keep his health insurance (pre ACA days....). So he puts a screen saver on his company laptop that counted down the days, hours and minutes to "Bob's Retirement." Then he forgets to shut it off at a regional meeting when he had a presentation to make. Divisional Prez was not amused when it flashed on the screen, but Bob actually was too valuable to fire over it. ⏲️

• Like 3

On 12/31/2021 at 4:07 PM, buddha said:

kyle seager isnt a boomer.  he has his whole life ahead of him and for someone of his age and his physical status, he has an infintessimally small chance of having serious problems from covid.  plus the last strain is weaker.  and the strains in the future are likely to get even weaker than this one.

if he's retiring because he's scared of getting covid, he's an idiot.

Yes, I am extremely sick and tired of hearing people treat COVID as some kind of death sentence. 

Recent Gallup polling indicated that the public waaayyy overestimates the severity and risk associated with COVID, thanks to the media hyping it to death.

IF you are unvaccinated, and/or are over 65, and/or have an underlying comorbid condition, you have a small chance of being hospitalized (less than 2%), but otherwise....

IF you are vaccinated, below 65 years of age, and have no underlying co-morbidity, you should be more worried about your next car ride than getting COVID.  Delta is a little more virulent, but Omicron is basically a common fucking cold for the healthy and/or otherwise vaccinated.

I suspect that Omicron is a minor issue for otherwise healthy people with a prior COVID-19 infection even without the vaccine (I haven't seen data on this one way or another yet).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

And the whole thing about getting other people sick who are vulnerable is hooey.  Omicron is highly contagious....if you are that scared of it you have the option to isolate yourself....but expecting significant shut-downs to protect people who are already vaccinated is just stupid, massive, unnecessary overkill, especially for a strain like Omicron that basically has killed fewer people than trees falling or lightning strikes.  And when I say "shut down" I also mean requiring vaccination cards to participate in society (education, restaurants, events, etc).  The vaccines overwhelmingly work, so there should be little to no risk posed by the unvaccinated, especially if they already have had COVID-19.

And also regarding hospitals being overburdened -- they have had two years to figure out how to deal with a surge....I don't want to see hospitals get in trouble or patients being hurt, but at some point if we are concerned about hospital capacity we should invest some of these ginormous Covid $$ from the Federal Government to hire enough vaccinated people to care for COVID patients during a surge.  To shut down society at any level due to foreseeable events and a lack of contingency planning when COVID $$ are slopping over everywhere is just ridiculous, and we should not stand for it.

I am sick almost to death of the COVID hype, especially from athletes.  These guys have almost nothing to be afraid of, and neither does anyone else, if they take the vaccine/boosters, and/or are generally healthy, and/or have antibodies from a prior COVID-19 infection.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

but at some point if we are concerned about hospital capacity we should invest some of these ginormous Covid $$ from the Federal Government to hire enough vaccinated people to care for COVID patients during a surge. 

well, you can't just turn on hospital capacity like a faucet. No-one knew/knows how long or severe this is going to to run. Omicron might wash over the population causing little harm and leaving everyone resistant, or the 'RHO' version could show up tomorrow with double the mortality of delta. Facing that kind of uncertainty throwing billions into hospital construction as opposed to other public health efforts (vaccines etc) isn't so simple a question. Building out hospital space to modern code and practice requirements is phenomenally expensive - esp if done in a hurry, and if that capacity ended up empty in 24mo the people that spent the money would be fish in a barrel for the political 2nd guessers. It may come to it, I just don't think it's an easy or trivial decision to make.

• Like 5

On 12/31/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jim Cowan said:

And Rogers, if he recovers, is a top-third catcher.  And every team in baseball would love to have Baddoo at this point in his career.

If we assume that the playoffs had  expanded to 14 teams in 2021 as is likely for 2022, Seattle would have made the playoffs while scoring 697 runs, the same that the Tigers scored in 2021. The Seattle situation is an outlier,however, the details should be examined by someone.

I did some basic spreadsheet work that suggests a 74 run reduction in runs allowed and twenty additional runs in runs scored will probably be enough to make the playoffs. The additions of Barnhart and Baez I figure being worth 70 defensive runs saved over Niko Goodrum and company. I am assuming that Baez will be worth 4 additional offensive WAR over Goodrum and company. That gets us potentially 11 additional wins, or roughly 88 wins in 2022. There will also be chances to improve this team at the trade deadline.

In addition to some of the positives listed earlier Faedo will be coming off of Tommy John. I see us being 2 solid relievers and maybe one more bat, which either Tork or Greene may provide,short. I also have to think that Hill might be a surprise, given that he seems to have found himself before his knee injuries, assuming he recovers well.

That doesn't mean I am opposed to adding a bat. I don't think it is a make or break, as  there will be a need to add something at the trade deadline.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Yes, I am extremely sick and tired of hearing people treat COVID as some kind of death sentence. 

Recent Gallup polling indicated that the public waaayyy overestimates the severity and risk associated with COVID, thanks to the media hyping it to death.

IF you are unvaccinated, and/or are over 65, and/or have an underlying comorbid condition, you have a small chance of being hospitalized (less than 2%), but otherwise....

IF you are vaccinated, below 65 years of age, and have no underlying co-morbidity, you should be more worried about your next car ride than getting COVID.  Delta is a little more virulent, but Omicron is basically a common fucking cold for the healthy and/or otherwise vaccinated.

I suspect that Omicron is a minor issue for otherwise healthy people with a prior COVID-19 infection even without the vaccine (I haven't seen data on this one way or another yet).

There's very little truth in these statements. Why you would want to pooh pooh a pandemic that has killed over 825,000 Americans, and is still killing over 1,200 per day, has hospitalised millions and left them with long term health issues, all despite worldwide mitigation efforts and the miraculous arrival of the vaccines, is beyond me. 

I get it, you're sick of it, we're all sick of it, but calling it, " a common cold", and distorting statistics to minimize it's impact is just odious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Man, my speculative throw away post is getting quite a reponse.  You put the word Covid in a post and people get all worked up. 😀  From day one, I have always thought of Covid as something I didn't want to catch and then give to my parents.  I have never been worried about myself.  I assume there are others who feel the same way. 

I also said in my post "fear of Covid/tedium of Covid restrictions", but people only picked up on fear.  

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

There's very little truth in these statements. Why you would want to pooh pooh a pandemic that has killed over 825,000 Americans, and is still killing over 1,200 per day, has hospitalised millions and left them with long term health issues, all despite worldwide mitigation efforts and the miraculous arrival of the vaccines, is beyond me. 

I get it, you're sick of it, we're all sick of it, but calling it, " a common cold", and distorting statistics to minimize it's impact is just odious.

Yeah, I do think many people have been overly cautious about Covid, but lack of caution has been a much bigger problem throughout.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sabretooth said:

And the whole thing about getting other people sick who are vulnerable is hooey.  Omicron is highly contagious....if you are that scared of it you have the option to isolate yourself....but expecting significant shut-downs to protect people who are already vaccinated is just stupid, massive, unnecessary overkill, especially for a strain like Omicron

Seager retiring from baseball is not a massive shutdown!  If you want to go bigger than that, check out the politcal forum.  The conservative could use help from intelligent people like you.  They are mostly flailing over there.  😀

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Seager retiring from baseball is not a massive shutdown!  If you want to go bigger than that, check out the politcal forum.  The conservative could use help from intelligent people like you.  They are mostly flailing over there.  😀

referring people to go to the political forum is such an awful thing to do, lee.  shame on you.  lol.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, sabretooth said:

And the whole thing about getting other people sick who are vulnerable is hooey.  Omicron is highly contagious....if you are that scared of it you have the option to isolate yourself....but expecting significant shut-downs to protect people who are already vaccinated is just stupid, massive, unnecessary overkill, especially for a strain like Omicron that basically has killed fewer people than trees falling or lightning strikes.  And when I say "shut down" I also mean requiring vaccination cards to participate in society (education, restaurants, events, etc).  The vaccines overwhelmingly work, so there should be little to no risk posed by the unvaccinated, especially if they already have had COVID-19.

What, you haven’t heard about all the people dropping dead from the COVID vaccine? You clearly don’t read certain media. 😏

But I hear you about the requirements to, apparently, protect vaccinated people from infecting each other with a disease practically none of them are in any danger of getting. I’ve told you guys about how how in my city there’s an indoor mask requirement, so many places that require proof of vaccination to enter also require you to wear your mask while inside. It’s bonkers, but it’s all about liability—nobody wants to get sued. Thanks, buddha. 😉

16 hours ago, sabretooth said:

And also regarding hospitals being overburdened -- they have had two years to figure out how to deal with a surge....I don't want to see hospitals get in trouble or patients being hurt, but at some point if we are concerned about hospital capacity we should invest some of these ginormous Covid $$ from the Federal Government to hire enough vaccinated people to care for COVID patients during a surge.  To shut down society at any level due to foreseeable events and a lack of contingency planning when COVID $$ are slopping over everywhere is just ridiculous, and we should not stand for it.

I am sick almost to death of the COVID hype, especially from athletes.  These guys have almost nothing to be afraid of, and neither does anyone else, if they take the vaccine/boosters, and/or are generally healthy, and/or have antibodies from a prior COVID-19 infection.

Have you ever had it? It sucked, I thought I was going to die.

Best shape of his life alert:

Tigers prospect Alex Faedo has been throwing off of flat ground up to a distance of 200 feet.

The right-hander underwent Tommy John surgery in January of 2021. The 26-year-old hurler has regained the weight that he lost during COVID and feels he's now in the best shape of his life. The plan is to have him begin throwing bullpen sessions in early January, though there's still no timetable on exactly when he'll return to game action. He remains one of the Tigers' top pitching prospects and will be someone for fantasy managers to keep an eye on early in the year.

Jan 2, 2022, 7:57 PM ET
  • Like 2