2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Speaking of retirements, Cameron Maybin announced his retirement today after 15 seasons. While he may not have hit his star potential like many expected he carved out a nice little career for himself.

I don't think he ever got that nice multi year contract though but still 15 years of MLB salary is a nice chunk of change. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Speaking of retirements, Cameron Maybin announced his retirement today after 15 seasons. While he may not have hit his star potential like many expected he carved out a nice little career for himself.

I don't think he ever got that nice multi year contract though but still 15 years of MLB salary is a nice chunk of change. 

Bbref shows just under $39M in career salary.  That ain’t a bad living.

I don't have the MLB Network so maybe they have been keeping things up to date but I find it odd how quiet everything is about the negotiations.

Like I remember the strike in 94 Sportscenter would have updates on it on like a nightly basis but I haven't heard anything about this one. 

31 minutes ago, casimir said:

Bbref shows just under $39M in career salary.  That ain’t a bad living.

Just coming here to post this one...

I dont keep good records but I think I saw his first mlb game, it was at Yankee stadium, I could be wrong.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pfife said:

Just coming here to post this one...

I dont keep good records but I think I saw his first mlb game, it was at Yankee stadium, I could be wrong.   

Yep it was at Yankee Stadium, I vividly remember going out to the bar to watch it. He ended up taking Clemens deep in his second game. 

I don't know the whole details but from what I can decipher among various MLB pundits tweets it seems that Rosenthal was fired from MLB Network due to comments he made about Manfred. I guess Manfred didn't like them and basically forced MLB Network's hand. Just another reason to hate him. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't have the MLB Network so maybe they have been keeping things up to date but I find it odd how quiet everything is about the negotiations.

Like I remember the strike in 94 Sportscenter would have updates on it on like a nightly basis but I haven't heard anything about this one. 

They had meetings twice in December regarding issues not related to economics. No meetings have been scheduled since then.

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't know the whole details but from what I can decipher among various MLB pundits tweets it seems that Rosenthal was fired from MLB Network due to comments he made about Manfred. I guess Manfred didn't like them and basically forced MLB Network's hand. Just another reason to hate him. 

How the hell does he survive this?   Manfred is a joke............

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was the 94 strike on SportsCenter during the offseason, or at least, at this time of the offseason?  Seems like football and basketball would have occupied a good amount of its time.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much discussion about the current situation until after the new year started.  Looking at my calendar...... hey, Thursday is the Epiphany.  Maybe that's a good sign?

I saw a David Aldridge tweet about his time on TNT and he'd criticize David Stern and then get called and chewed out... but never fired.

Big difference is that TNT and ESPN and the likes are the customers to the leagues.  They give them the money so the league can't be as forceful.  MLB Network IS the league.

7 hours ago, oblong said:

You won't hear anything legit on MLB Network regarding the lockout.  It's not a real journalism device.  It's a mouth piece for the league.

MLB Radio on Sirius must only be affiliated and not owned by MLB.  Or the ex players on air just don't give a rip about any backlash for openly rooting for the players.

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

MLB Radio on Sirius must only be affiliated and not owned by MLB.  Or the ex players on air just don't give a rip about any backlash for openly rooting for the players.

There  is a difference between ex-players and a reporter.  There is no reasonable way they can expect an ex-player to side with the owners or to even be neutral.  They are going to support their bros.  But they may require a reporter to be at least neutral.