2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

23 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

No one here is defending CC.  They are speculating about whether or not he will get Lindor money, from a team other than the Tigers.  Did Correa have supporters here at the start of the process?  Of course.  Is anyone complaining now about signing Baez, wishing they could have Correa?  Not one person.

Meh, sorry. I'm definitely disagreeing with this.... I'd rather have Correa over Baez any day of the week.... (assuming the contract length could be the same).

The Tigers have always gone after All or nothing hitters.... I'm too lazy to look it up but I bet over the last 30 years, the Tigers are one of the top 3 teams in strikeouts if not the top team. Baez fits the tigers mold PERFECTLY. Dude will lead the league in K's, hitting .280 with a .310 OBP.... Perfect Tiger..... Yes he might hit 30 Homeruns. But I'd rather have a good defensive shortstop hitting ..280/.360 with 25 HR's instead..... 

Baez Career Line: .264/.307/.477/.783 (OPS) - 953 Strikeouts
Correa Career Line: .277/.356/.481/.837 (OPS) - 660 Strikeouts

Give me Correa please.

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Meh, sorry. I'm definitely disagreeing with this.... I'd rather have Correa over Baez any day of the week.... (assuming the contract length could be the same)

Yes but that is the whole point, it is the contract lengths.  Everyone here agrees that Correa is better, when he is on the field...well everyone except one perhaps.  Are you complaining about signing Baez for 6, and wishing you could sign Correa for 10?  

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Baseball has always appealed to older audiences.  It's not an exciting sport for young people to watch.  I think the future of the game is gambling.  

Baseball is like a vampire bite. You have to be bitten otherwise it tends to be so complex that it’s hard to appreciate the nuances that make the game fascinating; aside from the more obvious forms of excitement which can to the novice still seem repetitive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Baseball is like a vampire bite. You have to be bitten otherwise it tends to be so complex that it’s hard to appreciate the nuances that make the game fascinating; aside from the more obvious forms of excitement which can to the novice still seem repetitive.

this is very true. 

21 hours ago, buddha said:

the people that liked the baez signing will be crowing when he gets hot for two weeks.

the people that didnt like it will be crowing when he looks completely lost for two weeks and swings at everything.

So the Baez signing will satisfy all Tiger fans, even if only for two week at a time stretches.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Kyle Seager retirement is surprising.   Coming off a year with 35 HR and 101 RBI.      

Covid is leading to earlier retirements in many industrires.  When you have as much money as Seager does, the fear of Covid or the tedium of Covid restrictions might lead you to want to spend more time at home with family.  Posey retired after a 3.5 WAR season, but that might have more to do with getting beat up at the catcher position for so many years.    

Edited by Tiger337

14 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes but that is the whole point, it is the contract lengths.  Everyone here agrees that Correa is better, when he is on the field...well everyone except one perhaps.  Are you complaining about signing Baez for 6, and wishing you could sign Correa for 10?  

I agree that a 10 year contract is too long.Baez has an opt out in 2 years. I like that flexibility.

The goal is a championship. There are other pieces in the minors, and there will be other opportunities in the future.Some of the pieces of the puzzle we're depending on will be lost to injury. Outside of the SS position we're are about one SP and three quality relievers shy ( assuming that Tork and Greene are what we think they will be) of being a serious contender for a World Championship. I believe staying flexible for a while. I really don't want to hear about a leaked statement to season ticket holders that ends with, "You try and trade him".

As for the playoffs, when MLB expands the playoffs to 14 teams, 85 wins will punch that ticket.

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Covid is leading to earlier retirements in many industrires.  When you have as much money as Seager does, the fear of Covid or the tedium of Covid restrictions might lead you to want to spend more time at home with family.  Posey retired after a 3.5 WAR season, but that might have more to do with getting beat up at the catcher position for so many years.    

Posey and his wife adopted twin sisters born eight weeks premature in July 2020. He sat out 2020 as a result of this and the virus. I think his real reason for retiring after this season was to be at home more with his family. 

44 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybe he’s just lazy

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

what surprised me with Seager is that his defensive stats were still OK. I sort of expected to look him up and see him at -20Rdrs and he was hanging them up because he felt he wasn't holding up his end in the field, but that wasn't the case.

13 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

I agree that a 10 year contract is too long.Baez has an opt out in 2 years. I like that flexibility.

The goal is a championship. There are other pieces in the minors, and there will be other opportunities in the future.Some of the pieces of the puzzle we're depending on will be lost to injury. Outside of the SS position we're are about one SP and three quality relievers shy ( assuming that Tork and Greene are what we think they will be) of being a serious contender for a World Championship. I believe staying flexible for a while. I really don't want to hear about a leaked statement to season ticket holders that ends with, "You try and trade him".

As for the playoffs, when MLB expands the playoffs to 14 teams, 85 wins will punch that ticket.

Assuming Tork and Greene are who we hope for, if you take out Baez, who out of the other 6 batters are 1st divison regulars? *cough* no one. We will have one of the worst lineups in MLB next year...... 

22 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Assuming Tork and Greene are who we hope for, if you take out Baez, who out of the other 6 batters are 1st divison regulars? *cough* no one. We will have one of the worst lineups in MLB next year...... 

I think you’re being a bit dismissive of Schoop, Grossman and Candelario.  

8 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

The only thing worse than the class struggle in baseball between owners and players is a class struggle where there’s no news about it.

I don't know.  I'm not sure news about the negotiations would do much but anger the fan base at this point.  If you want angar, try the politics board.

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

And Rogers, if he recovers, is a top-third catcher.  And every team in baseball would love to have Baddoo at this point in his career.

And they don't have to all be HOF'ers.

I'm not certain if ATF wants All-Stars at every position... But we're not the Yankees or Dodgers.

We won in 1984 with Lance Parrish, Tom Brookens, Howard Johnson, Larry Herndon, Dave Bergman & Darrell Evans, with a collective OPS+ of about 100. About 5 out of 9 offensive positions. Our 4 top offensive players that year were Trammell & Whitaker, Gibson & Lemon. Average 135 OPS+.

Replace our 3 weakest positions in 2021 with Baez, Tork & Greene, and you have almost the same dynamic. Although I feel more comfortable with that in 2023 than in 2022... And there may still be more bats added, although I don't think Avila is in a rush to do so this year, we can always add more next offseason, and... Avila did say it might be a multi-year process...

Yeah, I believe him. In 2023 we get Jake Rogers back, maybe Dingler is breaking into MLB, I think Miggy will be "retired" and replaced with a nice bat.... If ATF wants another top-tier bat, 2022 off-season is the place to be...

I think 2022 will be a "making strides" and "growing pains" year (for all the kids), and 2023 coalesces much more around a highly competitive chase after the World Series. If we make the playoffs in 2022 I will count us as being lucky and everything falling into place like we hope it will... But I'm not counting on it just yet...

On 12/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, Tiger337 said:

if he's retiring because of fears of covid he's an idiot.

if he's retiring because he's made enough money, invested it well, and he's ready to move on to another phase of his life, that's understandable.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

if he's retiring because of fears of covid he's an idiot.

if he's retiring because he's made enough money, invested it well, and he's ready to move on to another phase of his life, that's understandable.

There is a worker shortage in the country and I think a lot of it is because boomers with money saved up who had been hanging onto their jobs to squeeze out some more wealth.  Then Covid hit and they decided it wasn't worth it anymore and they wanted to do something else.  I can see wealthy players doing the same thing.  If a young player quit because of Covid before he accumulated wealth that would be surprising.      

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There is a worker shortage in the country and I think a lot of it is because boomers with money saved up who had been hanging onto their jobs to squeeze out some more wealth.  Then Covid hit and they decided it wasn't worth it anymore and they wanted to do something else.  I can see wealthy players doing the same thing.  If a young player quit because of Covid before he accumulated wealth that would be surprising.      

kyle seager isnt a boomer.  he has his whole life ahead of him and for someone of his age and his physical status, he has an infintessimally small chance of having serious problems from covid.  plus the last strain is weaker.  and the strains in the future are likely to get even weaker than this one.

if he's retiring because he's scared of getting covid, he's an idiot.