2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

6 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I think that it got out that Yamamoto isn't interested with the Tigers because they have no Japanese players. 

I would also think that these high profile free agents are looking for teams that consistently make the playoffs and have a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs. This would be a hard sell for Detroit right now. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I would also think that these high profile free agents are looking for teams that consistently make the playoffs and have a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs. This would be a hard sell for Detroit right now. 

Maybe not for a Japanese player.  I would think playing in America with the best players in the world is the big attraction initially.  Specifically making the playoffs might be less important until the get accustomed to our culture and the league.  That's just a guess.  

So I think Imanaga is an important step two.

Not just because he's a lefty and looks like a mid-rotation type of guy... And that he's Japanese, and that he and Maeda could settle the back-end of the rotation and also be useful elsewhere as needed (IMO).

But if Maeda AND Imanaga sign with Detroit... then it starts to look very attractive to Yamamoto to join the Tigers bandwagon with a signed contract. Mostly, I like the top end talent that allows a team to get to the top or to at least have a chance at the very top (championship(s)...).

There's...

A lot of IF's in there...

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybe not for a Japanese player.  I would think playing in America with the best players in the world is the big attraction initially.  Specifically making the playoffs might be less important until the get accustomed to our culture and the league.  That's just a guess.  

Eastern time zone teams are generally harder sells for Japanese players for a lot of reasons: cultural differences are starker; traveling back home takes a lot longer; ET night games start at 8:00am vs pacific time teams' games starting at 1100am, which make them better for TV. I'm sure there are other reasons. Not saying Yamamoto could never ever sign with Detroit, but it is a lot longer shot.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Eastern time zone teams are generally harder sells for Japanese players for a lot of reasons: cultural differences are starker; traveling back home takes a lot longer; ET night games start at 8:00am vs pacific time teams' games starting at 1100am, which make them better for TV. I'm sure there are other reasons. Not saying Yamamoto could never ever sign with Detroit, but it is a lot longer shot.

He reportedly said that playing with Japanese teammates is more important than location.  Of course, if that's the case, then Maeda might become a popular free agent for other teams as well as the Tigers.