The Gaza War

gehringer_2

The motive is easy, even with no information whatsoever. 

It was a hate-murder.

But I wouldn't guarantee that it wasn't just as easily a white-trash bigot using any excuse to perform out his anti-semitic hatred as it was a Palestinian sympathizer. It could be either, IMO.

But hate-crime-murder it was... 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 3:33 PM, smr-nj said:

Shall we wait for some investigation of the bomb site before we determine whether it is an Israeli strike or not? 

To Ob’s point, disinformation (as opposed to misinformation, that’s my distinction) is so rife that could we even believe the results of such an investigation? 

51 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So you believe this over out own gov't findings? I don't get the questioning at all.

Our own government and intelligence communities (albeit likely through political pressure and manipulation) once said Saddam was trying to by yellow-cake uranium from Niger to make a nuclear weapon and that there were aluminum tubes that contained chemical and biological weapons of mass destruction. Pardon me if I have a little reservation over this.

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Our own government and intelligence communities (albeit likely through political pressure and manipulation) once said Saddam was trying to by yellow-cake uranium from Niger to make a nuclear weapon and that there were aluminum tubes that contained chemical and biological weapons of mass destruction. Pardon me if I have a little reservation over this.

They relied on an ex-Iraqi for all of that misinformation. Ex as in multiple years and... nebulous connections to any of the current (at that time) actual Iraqi intelligence.

Yeah, that looks beyond ridiculous. But accurate and... they did.

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I respect the heck of your opinion and posts (mostly Lions stuff! 🙂 ). I was generally wondering why you were not taking the gov't response at its word. This whole Middle East is on the brink of starting WW3 if we can't trust what they tell us on these issues then there is little hope.

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I respect the heck of your opinion and posts (mostly Lions stuff! 🙂 ). I was generally wondering why you were not taking the gov't response at its word. This whole Middle East is on the brink of starting WW3 if we can't trust what they tell us on these issues then there is little hope.

I doubt anyone browbeat the Canadians into agreeing with the US assessment - they tend to enjoy any chance to be contrarian with the US establishment.

46 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This whole Middle East is on the brink of starting WW3 if we can't trust what they tell us on these issues then there is little hope.

I believe the current war involving Israel and Hamas is something that could really go bad. The initial shock of seeing the innocents being slaughtered as Hamas entered Israel drew immediate sympathy from a lot of observers of the Middle East. From a political perspective,  the graphic pictures/videos, etc., moved a lot of people to side with Israel’s response to the attacks. For the most part, MSM has been neutral to supportive of the IDF’s actions. There are always outliers.

Based on past history, I fear the longer this war lasts, the more likely it is that Israel will be labeled the bad guy. Defeating Hamas can’t happen without civilians deaths in Gaza. Hamas knows this and has proven it is part of their story, nothing new. Given time, I expect the media will make ongoing civilian deaths in Gaza front and center and the initial outrage over the slaughter of the Jews will be yesterdays news.  
How will long will surrounding Arab countries, currently neutral toward the the Jews, remain quiet? Probably not terribly long. Support for Israel will erode if this war drags on. I have no doubt Iran hand a hand in this attack. They know Israel’s support is thin in a lot of governments that are in a ‘wait and see’ mode right now.  

There is no country on the planet that would not respond with overwhelming force, if its citizens suffered what Hamas did to Israeli civilians. Absolutely barbaric war crimes. I am not including the heartbreaking graphic details found in the link, and I am not sure that is the correct answer.

• Thanks 1

TEL AVIV—In the weeks leading up to Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack on Israel, hundreds of the Palestinian Islamist militant group’s fighters received specialized combat training in Iran, according to people familiar with intelligence related to the assault.

Roughly 500 militants from Hamas and an allied group, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, participated in the exercises in September, which were led by officers of the Quds Force, the foreign-operations arm of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, the people said.

WSJ

On 10/26/2023 at 12:25 PM, oblong said:

The Ukraine funding is a huge wedge issue in the Arab/Muslim world.   It's because Zelensky is Jewish.

I'll say it again.... that community is totally brainwashed.  They think what happened on Oct 7 was fake or done by Israel.

Pulling back from this specific topic: when you think about it, everyone is kind of brainwashed, aren’t they? I mean, even people who get their news from the mainstream media, which represent the form of information closest to the truth relative to alt media, people who regard themselves as broadly-educated and worldly, are resistant to counter-factual accounts from non-mainstream sources—accounts which might be actually true, but are discounted because of source bias. I think hardly anyone gives much shrift to literally all sides of the infospectrum.

I don’t think that’s necessarily a new concept, but the rise of alt media makes it more stark.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:21 PM, 1776 said:

BREAKING! Canary Mission can confirm that

has extensive fundraising ties to Hamas insiders, incl working w/Hamas activist Salah Sarsour who co-hosted a 2018 election campaign event. Tlaib’s Canary Mission profile: https://canarymission.org/

individual/Rashida_Tlaib 🧵

Who’s Canary Mission and why should I believe her?

EDIT: OK, not a her, per se:

Canary Mission is a website established in 2014 that compiles dossiers on student activists, professors, and organizations, focusing primarily on those at North American universities, which it considers be anti-Israel or antisemitic,[1][2][3] and has said that it will send the names of listed students to prospective employers.[4]Canary Mission listings have been used by the Israeli government and border security officials to interrogate and deny entry to pro-Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) American citizens,[5][6] and by potential employers.[7]

Individuals listed by Canary have said it is a blacklist designed to intimidate students, faculty members, and community activists engaged in Palestine solidarity work.[8] Some pro-Israel activists consider the site's tactics to be overly aggressive, while others applaud its efforts against pro-Palestinian activists.[6] The operators of the website have maintained their anonymity,[9] justifying their secrecy by saying that "many of our detractors just want to know who we are so they can physically harm us."[10]

Edited by chasfh

The US response in support of Israel in its war against Hamas caught the Gaza-based Palestinian terrorist group off guard, a Hamas official told The Financial Times.

Speaking from his office in Beirut, senior Hamas political leadership member Ali Barakeh told the UK news outlet that they "didn't expect this much of a response" from the US.

"An Israeli response? Yes, we expected that. But what we're seeing now is the entrance of the US into the battle, and this we didn't count on," he said, according to the Times.

These statements come after Washington diverted many of its forces to the area amid Israel's launching of Operation Swords of Iron, the latest war with Hamas.

-Jerusalem Post

Edited by 1776

21 hours ago, smr-nj said:

I think that Hamas official quoted is lying through his teeth.

Of course the US response was exactly what any fact driven thought process would have predicted 

I agree with you, although maybe even executive terrorists are super emotional and not fact-driven and also simply not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

The degree to which antisemitism is manifesting itself in the wake of the Hamas attacks is pretty ****ing alarming.

and it's disappointing to see it so prominent on the left.  This is not a right wing thing.  Sure there's extreme right wing anti semites but I don't think the increase we've seen the last 2 weeks is due to them.  It's the college crazies.

• Like 1