Week Eight: Las Vegas Raiders (3-4) @ Detroit Lions (5-2)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

You can post in protest, but the refs called it a fumble and the Lions lost the ball. And yes, I know most of this board wants to pass on every down and every bad thing that happens is from running, except Goff throwing a pick or taking a sack, both of which could be avoided if they just pick Mahomes in the next draft. 

Will LaPorta need to change his name if we draft Mahomes?

Honestly, if you take 2 of those 3 early FG's and turn them into touchdowns, there's' 8 extra points there,  a missed chip shot is another 3 and a *fumble* on the goal line.      They left 18 points on the table, in my opinion.    Those 3 field goals happened because of some terrible play calling.   Riley Patterson's miss was probably a bribe from the NFL/ABC to keep the Raiders in the game and keep the TVs on.   That's probably why that fumble wasn't overturned.   Keep it close - higher ratings.  

Who are the QBs they face coming up? 

Chargers = Herbert..........He ain't all that. (and we'll hopefully be rested and healed and get some guys back)

Bears x 2 ..............Fields or a backup

Vikings x 2 .............A backup (unless they trade for Trubisky or Ryan Tannehill or someone, still not good)

Packers............Jordan Love

After that I think the only real challenging QB they have is possibly Dak Prescott (should have the division sewn up at that point) and maybe Derek Carr (McDaniels is an idiot for dumping him).  

It just seems that what I have gathered after 8 weeks with this team is that if the other team doesn't have a really really good QB, they are not going to win against the Lions.    

By the way, I heard in passing during a game last week - Lamar Jackson has an insane record and stat line against the NFC.    So the Lions aren't alone. 

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

You can post in protest, but the refs called it a fumble and the Lions lost the ball. And yes, I know most of this board wants to pass on every down and every bad thing that happens is from running, except Goff throwing a pick or taking a sack, both of which could be avoided if they just pick Mahomes in the next draft. 

It was a BS call, period. He lost the ball after he was laying on the ground, that is not a fumble by NFL rules.

Running right at Maxx Crosby with your backup RB on a 2nd and goal from the 4 is not a good playcall, but that's just my opinion. If Montgomery was in, I run the ball but not with Reynolds even though he had a solid game.

Either way, it was a sloppy game by the Lions even with the yards domination so we agree there.

Edited by NYLion

It was nice to see the OL coach get some love and TV time last night. He may have been talked about in passing on a previous broadcast but that was the first time I can remember him really getting any real attention. Considering how well the line has played despite the injuries it is well deserved. 

The makeshift interior O-line played surprisingly outstanding... that's a game-winner right there.

That includes opening lanes just enough for Gibbs to squeeze through and then display his magic...

And Skipper playing LG and noone misses a beat?!?! Dayum!!!

Yes, nice to see Fraley get highlighted by the MNF announcers...

As a 50+ year fan, I’m loving 6-2. I am not about to start griping about how this game demonstrates cause for concern against “good” teams…consensus is we’re ahead of schedule…I am loving this! Way too much good happening.

Edited by KnoxP
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

It was a BS call, period. He lost the ball after he was laying on the ground, that is not a fumble by NFL rules.

Running right at Maxx Crosby with your backup RB on a 2nd and goal from the 4 is not a good playcall, but that's just my opinion. If Montgomery was in, I run the ball but not with Reynolds even though he had a solid game.

Either way, it was a sloppy game by the Lions even with the yards domination so we agree there.

I agree it was a BS call but it actually was the call, the refs actually gave the ball to the other team, and the NFL actually called it a fumble in the stats. 

Some of the play calling rules on here are insane. You can’t run on 2nd down, but you also can’t pass if it’s 2nd and short, you need to be unpredictable except when you should be predictable, but you can only be predictable if you have certain players on the field. Anyway, though I don’t like the backward pass at that spot in the field, none of this matters if ASB hits Raymond wide open in the end zone, and nobody would be complaining if the refs had whistled the Reynolds run dead when he ended up at the bottom of a pile and stopped his forward progress. 

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

I just want to know why St Brown didn't throw the ball on that trick play?  Seeing the replay, the receiver was wide open with the closest defender being at least 15 feet away. 

Exactly. Had he thrown the ball we would be talking about Ben Johnson’s genius for scheming guys open. I love ASB but he did not execute that play. It happens. 

36 minutes ago, KnoxP said:

As a 50+ year fan, I’m loving 6-2. I am not about to start griping about how this game demonstrates cause for concern against “good” teams…consensus is we’re ahead of schedule…I am loving this! Way too much good happening.

Agreed. While during the game I would love to see a blowout, now that it's the morning after I can see this as a perfect result. They got the win, showed they can dominate mediocre teams, got step-up performances when injuries forced bigger roles for some, and made a ton of mistakes and brain cramps that will keep the players (and the fans) from getting over-confident. Still work to be done, keep getting better, very encouraging base right now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The one good thing about Monday Night Football is if you suffer from insomnia having Joe Buck on the broadcast is always a cure.

I don't get the Joe Buck hate.  There are far worse.

& this board may be in need of a suicide watch during Lions games - Geesh!

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who are the QBs they face coming up? 

Chargers = Herbert..........He ain't all that. (and we'll hopefully be rested and healed and get some guys back)

Bears x 2 ..............Fields or a backup

Vikings x 2 .............A backup (unless they trade for Trubisky or Ryan Tannehill or someone, still not good)

Packers............Jordan Love

After that I think the only real challenging QB they have is possibly Dak Prescott (should have the division sewn up at that point) and maybe Derek Carr (McDaniels is an idiot for dumping him).  

It just seems that what I have gathered after 8 weeks with this team is that if the other team doesn't have a really really good QB, they are not going to win against the Lions.    

By the way, I heard in passing during a game last week - Lamar Jackson has an insane record and stat line against the NFC.    So the Lions aren't alone. 

justin herbert is a really good quarterback.  he's coming back from injury.  that's going to be a shootout.

3 hours ago, djhutch said:

I don't get the Joe Buck hate.  There are far worse.

Don't hate Buck but he would be deep into the bottom third of my 'like to listen to' rankings. I guess I'd turn it around, what does he bring to a broadcast? Obviously he works for a lot of people or he couldn't have kept his gig but for me he's just not a very engaging guy to listen to.