Big Gap

2) Tigers World Series

Small Gap 

3) Pistons NBA Championship

small gap

4) Michigan Natty

Big Gap

5) Red Wings Cup

Not that I wouldn't take a Wings Cup particularly at this day and age with Detroit sports but not being a huge hockey fan I wouldn't be as invested as I would be the other teams. Also about 10 years ago I would've had Michigan higher but for some reason the older I get the less I care about college sports.

The Tigers and Pistons could essentially be interchangeable but I put the Tigers ahead since I was only 3 when they won in 84 so I never really experienced them winning a championship unlike the Pistons. 

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

For me it's

1) Lions winning a Super Bowl

Big Gap

2) Tigers World Series

Small Gap 

3) Pistons NBA Championship

small gap

4) Michigan Natty

Big Gap

5) Red Wings Cup

Not that I wouldn't take a Wings Cup particularly at this day and age with Detroit sports but not being a huge hockey fan I wouldn't be as invested as I would be the other teams. Also about 10 years ago I would've had Michigan higher but for some reason the older I get the less I care about college sports.

The Tigers and Pistons could essentially be interchangeable but I put the Tigers ahead since I was only 3 when they won in 84 so I never really experienced them winning a championship unlike the Pistons. 

If the Tigers had won a World Series between 2006-2014 , I’d have felt the only one I need in the rest of my lifetime is the Super Bowl for the Lions. Anything else would have been gravy, as the Wings, Pistons and Michigan have all won it all within last 25 years. 

Good. I suppose if guys who should have been hitting and haven’t had been hitting, and if a lot of pitchers hadn’t been injured, this would’ve never happened. As it is the law of averages caught up with being shitty, like when a bank robber robs 22 banks successfully for a couple grand apiece and is taken down the 23rd time. Al Avila had more lives than we imagined but he wasn’t immortal. 

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Cabrera is unavailable to play.  So how can anyone watch him play?  And how riveting is it watching him plod towards 1B on another futile ground out?

Stop listening to Shep and ignore the shots of the hit and home run totals on the Ballys broadcast.  What exactly does he bring to the team from a competitive standpoint anymore?  Pay him his money, let him sit in the dugout and make cute faces for the camera, but remove him from the active roster.  He’s an absolute joke as a baseball player anymore.

This is why he needs to retire. It’s a common perception across all baseball fans and Miggy needs to let his pride take over if Chris will cash him out whole. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Yeah, I agree with this take. 

To grow up with the post Cecil/Fryman teams must have been pretty brutal, though I always had hopes for the Clark/Easley/Palmer/JuanE/Kapler/Moehler/Weaver/Thompson (and BradA and Brocail LOL).

If I read you right that you were born in 1987, you would have experienced the start of the 2004-2014 era during your college days, which should have been a ton of fun!  2006 still stands as the funnest year this side of 1984 and better for me because I got to enjoy it with my sons.

And 2006 proves that with the right owner/GM combo, you can turn a team around very quickly.  Maybe not from 43 to 95 wins in 3 years like DD did, but 70-something to 80-something in 2 years should be doable at anytime with the right leadership.

And as you turn a team around, you can make the moves internally to help make the team sustainable.  Avoiding long extensions for incumbent players would be a first step.  Firesales are a no-no on the other extreme.

Oh yeah, that was a lot of fun going to Wayne State when this team was competitive and being downtown then. It just sucked prior to that going to the ballpark and knowing they had no chance to win a thing from about 1994-2004.

Being born in 81 my first real Tiger fandom was those Cecil Fielder teams of the early 90s, I was a "fan" before but I was of the age that I didn't really care all that much, I was more of a fan of baseball in general than the Tigers at that point. I remember rooting for the A's in the late 80s just because that was my little league team and I basically treated my little league team like they were the lowest level farm team for the A's.lol 

But by 1990 when Cecil came here and had that magical 51 HR season I became attached to the Tigers.  Even though they weren't great those early 90s teams were fun to watch even as a pretty young kid. It wasn't until the mid to late 90s where everything went to shit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Oh yeah, that was a lot of fun going to Wayne State when this team was competitive and being downtown then. It just sucked prior to that going to the ballpark and knowing they had no chance to win a thing from about 1994-2004.

Ah, Wayne State...wow...were you residing on campus?

They did have kind of a decent team with Garner for a couple of years, but yeah, the playoffs were a dream.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Being born in 81 my first real Tiger fandom was those Cecil Fielder teams of the early 90s, I was a "fan" before but I was of the age that I didn't really care all that much, I was more of a fan of baseball in general than the Tigers at that point. I remember rooting for the A's in the late 80s just because that was my little league team and I basically treated my little league team like they were the lowest level farm team for the A's.lol 

But by 1990 when Cecil came here and had that magical 51 HR season I became attached to the Tigers.  Even though they weren't great those early 90s teams were fun to watch even as a pretty young kid. It wasn't until the mid to late 90s where everything went to shit.

Yes, the Cecil/Tettleton/Phillips Tigers were great.  They kept bringing in fringe sluggers for a couple of years like guest stars on Gilligans Island....Sheets, Inky, Carreon, Gibby 2.0, Eric Davis, etc.

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I enjoyed those teams a lot.  It didn't get really ugly until later in the decade.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I enjoyed those teams a lot.  It didn't get really ugly until later in the decade.  

Yeah for sure. Thankfully back then TBS played the Braves like 4 of 5 times a week and WGN the Cubs like everyday so I remember watching alot of them in my teens in the mid to late 90s when the Tigers were terrible. I never really became a fan of either but I just appreciated the good baseball particularly with the Braves. 

5 hours ago, gkelly said:

What's the difference watching him try to jog down to first base after a weakly hit ball to shortstop or watching any of the other players on the roster have horrible at bats.  You really think anyone other than Greene or Baez will even be on this roster in 2 years?

Cabrera won't.  Heck, he might not be next season.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah for sure. Thankfully back then TBS played the Braves like 4 of 5 times a week and WGN the Cubs like everyday so I remember watching alot of them in my teens in the mid to late 90s when the Tigers were terrible. I never really became a fan of either but I just appreciated the good baseball particularly with the Braves. 

I watched a lot of Braves games and they became my second favorite team for a while.  

When the cubs won in 2016 I was happy for my friends who were big fans. I felt an affinity to them b/c of WGN. 1989 was the last summer I couldn’t drive. I turned 16 that  October. I was at that point in my life where I went out later in the day so I spent most days watching them.  We had lights at wrigley but not many night games.  When they won the division it was fun. I felt a part of it. 

Being born in 73 I came of age with rhe 84 team. It seemed so easy. You watch the team and they become good and win. Sports is fun. Then the pistons were good. Wings teetered but were still disappointing. But by the time I was 25 I saw all 3 teams I care about win 5 titles. 

To an extent thats how I was with the Lions, NFL was the last league I really got into as a kid so my first year following the Lions was the year they went to the NFC Championship. Little did I know that some 30 years later that was still going to be the high water mark of my fandom.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was born in the late 1980s and missed the Cecil and Fryman years for the most part. I stuck with the Tigers in spite of it because baseball was my favorite sport, but for the most part people bailed on them in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I remember even getting jokes for wearing a Tigers hat around town on 2003.

Another poster made a comment about how hard it is to attract fans when things are bad... well, that was a time when I'm guessing they had a tough time bringing in new fans. All the "life long" Tiger fans showed up in 2006... lol

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I was born in the late 1980s and missed the Cecil and Fryman years for the most part. I stuck with the Tigers in spite of it because baseball was my favorite sport, but for the most part people bailed on them in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I remember even getting jokes for wearing a Tigers hat around town on 2003.

Another poster made a comment about how hard it is to attract fans when things are bad... well, that was a time when I'm guessing they had a tough time bringing in new fans. All the "life long" Tiger fans showed up in 2006... lol

That era was a great time to go to games because you could sit pretty much wherever you wanted. I remember being third row behind home plate when they played the Expos and marveling at what a beast Vlad was. The ushers gave me some grief for sitting there but when I told them that if the seat owners showed up, we'd gladly move. They didn't and we enjoyed the whole game from those seats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Yes, the Cecil/Tettleton/Phillips Tigers were great.  They kept bringing in fringe sluggers for a couple of years like guest stars on Gilligans Island....Sheets, Inky, Carreon, Gibby 2.0, Eric Davis, etc.

For whatever reason, I really enjoyed following the Tigers during these years. Other names through this era would be Deer, Gladden, and Gregg Jeffries. I think Fryman was still in the mix then as well. 
That Sparky was managing the team and they were still in Tiger Stadium made it more fun as well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That era was a great time to go to games because you could sit pretty much wherever you wanted. I remember being third row behind home plate when they played the Expos and marveling at what a beast Vlad was. The ushers gave me some grief for sitting there but when I told them that if the seat owners showed up, we'd gladly move. They didn't and we enjoyed the whole game from those seats.

Yeah my Dad would get tickets from a client some 20 times a year in that era, they were like 3 rows behind the visitors on deck circle so awesome seats but they were right where the netting stopped so it was impossible to get a foul ball so me and my brothers would change seats throughout the park every inning.

Never did get a ball but it was a fun experience wandering the park and getting different vantage points throughout the stadium. I don't recall an usher ever saying anything to us. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

We made our first pilgrimage to Tiger Stadium in August 1991 to see the Tigers play the Yankees for two games. We managed to sit behind the plate just a few rows back toward the later innings of one of the games. Watched Mike Henneman strike out Mel Hall looking to end the game. Not a better seat anywhere in baseball, then or now.